The 2015 Queerness and Games Design Workshop
Sponsored by the Berkeley Center for Diversity and the Student Technology Fee
Application deadline August 15; late submissions may be accepted through September 1
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Applications are now open for the second undergraduate Queerness and Game Design Workshop!
The Queerness and Game Design Workshop is an artistic and interactive program in which undergraduate students engage with LGBT issues in the production of digital interactive games. Over the course of four workshops in September and October, 2015, students will receive professional training in game-making software, will join in discussions about queer activism and video games, and will ultimately work in teams to create playable games that explore issues of queerness through play. No prior technical skills necessary.
Completed games will be showcased in mid-October at the Queerness and Games Conference (qgcon.com, @qgcon), where participants will have the opportunity to present about their work and network with the queer game design community. All students who complete the program will receive a generous Amazon gift card and be eligible for an Audience Choice Award at their conference presentation.
The Game Design Workshop offers students the opportunity to:
– Learn valuable creative and technical skills, like how to use game-making software.
– Produce creative work for your professional portfolio. Gain CV-worthy career experience
– Gain visibility by sharing your creative work with a diverse audience.
– Make professional contacts in the fields of video games, digital arts, and queer activism.
– Build a team and make friends from diverse academic backgrounds.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE:
**No prior knowledge of game design, game-making software, or computer engineering is required. Applications are particularly encouraged from students who work in the arts, humanities, and social sciences: fields often underrepresented in discussions of digital media. Diversity and accessibility are key tenants of the project.
DATES & DEADLINES
Applications: Submit by August 15, 2015 to guarantee a spot in the program. Applications will be accepted as late as September 1st but please submit as soon as possible. Limited spots are available.
Workshops: Saturday, 9/5, Saturday, 9/12, Saturday, 9/19, and Saturday, 10/3 from 11AM to 4PM. Light breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided.
Games showcased: Queerness and Games Conference, Saturday and Sunday, 10/17—10/18.
HOW TO APPLY
Limited spots are available for the first round of applications. Please send the following information to email@example.com:
1. Your name, home department, class standing (freshman, sophomore, etc.), and general academic areas of interest.
2. A paragraph of no more than 300 words explaining why you would like to take part in the Design Workshop.
3. A guarantee that you can attend all four Saturday workshop sessions from 11AM to 4PM on 9/5, 9/12, 9/19, and 10/3. And a promise to do your best to attend the conference itself for at least your panel’s formal presentation of your game (most likely on Sunday, 10/18).
We look forward to your application!