Deadline: February 18, 2017
Each year, QGCon runs a “homestay” program that pairs developers with local community members for a place to crash free of charge. The goal of the program is to help defray the cost of traveling to the conference. If you are interested in taking part in the homestay program and being matched with a host in the Los Angeles area, here is how you can apply.
Please send your responses to the following questions, along with your name and the title of your talk, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 18, 2017. In the subject line of your email, please include the words “Homestay Application.”
Also, please keep in mind that homestay hosts are volunteers who respond to a general call on social media. Some of them are folks that the organizers know personally; others are just generous QGCon supporters who want to lend a hand.
- Which nights are you hoping to stay with a homestay host? Please give specific dates. If these dates are approximate, please indicate this. We kindly request that homestay applicants limit their requests to dates during or immediately before or after the conference.
- Will you be traveling by yourself? If not, how many people will be in your party? In order to respect the space constraints of our hosts, we ask that speakers limit their parties to two people (the speaker and a plus-one*), unless there are multiple speakers in the same party.
- Are you allergic to any common house pets? If you were matched with a homestay host with a pet of this sort, would that be problematic for you?
- Are you familiar with the city of Los Angeles? How comfortable are you with using urban public transportation?
- Do you have any specific requests or concerns that will help us find the right host for you? We want to do our best to make sure that everyone feels comfortable, safe, and welcome.
* A note on “plus-ones”: it is important to us to welcome and support speakers of all relationship styles. If you are traveling with more than one partner and therefore need accommodations for a group larger than two, please let us know and we will do our best to find a host who can accommodate you.